Free Verse poetry book fair

September 11, 2012



Best thing about Saturday: satisfying my usually frustrated hunter-gatherer instincts, as a reader/buyer of poetry books.  Where else can one do this?  Even the best bookshops have nothing like the range we got on Saturday in Islington.  From �1 pamphlets to the collected works of Veronica Forrest-Thompson for �32 (I think).  From Picador to Pighog Press.  But mostly, and most importantly, small publishers and pamphlets, the former talkative, the latter, for once, browsable.

Then there were the readings, in a side room full of sunlight from a high window and draped in crimson satin; and the lovely courtyard caf�, staffed singlehandedly by a Spanish waitress who deserved a poetry medal for her many trips up and down a vertiginous iron fire escape to keep us all in caffeine.   

There was Spanish wine and ham too.  Now I�ll boast about my haul.  I bought Tasting Notes, Matthew Stewart's HappenStance pamphlet that was launched with the wine and ham; Matt Merritt�s hydrodaktulopsychicharmonica, from Nine Arches; Jacqui Saphra�s The Kitchen of Lovely Contraptions, from Flipped Eye; a book of poems by Helen Macdonald, Gael Turnbull and Nicholas Johnson from Etruscan Books; Xelis de Toro�s The Book of Invisible Bridges, which does brain-twistingly unexpected things with text, from Pighog; and Caasha Lul Mohamud Yusuf�s poems from the Poetry Translation Centre.

There were stalls, like Shearsman and Reality Street, that I�d have liked more time to look at.  There were stalls for publishers I�d never heard of, that I�d like to have spent time at.  I was there for around 5 hours; at one point I did a time check with a couple of friends and we couldn�t believe the day was going so fast.  What about a 2-day fair next year, with an evening event/reading?   Easy for me to say � I don�t have to organise it, or take a financial risk.  A big thank you to Charles Boyle, Chrissy Williams and the volunteers: you gave us a great day out. 

CB has written about the fair on his blog.  Some interesting observations about the different attitudes of large publishers � Picador comes out of it very well, the others don�t.  And now CB�s thinking of pop-up shops, again as part of the mission to give readers access to small presses, and small presses to readers.  Yes!!!

*****

This blog is going on holiday.  To Greece, with walking boots and swimsuit, to an old house on a wild island where I used to spend the winter weekends when I lived in Greece in the 90�s.  I haven�t been back for around 15 years.  I hope it hasn�t changed too much, but there is sure to be illegal and/or corrupt building, and new roads that lead nowhere. 

I want to visit my favourite Greek temple, which is like no other.  It�s at the top of a mountain, hence the walking boots.  I hope the goat-and-sheep farmer up the hill from the house will still be whistling his tune, part folk and part Bach fugue.  I hope there will be blackberries in the lane (yes, blackberries.  It�s too early for pomegranates.)  And I hope much else � memories have come back in the last couple of weeks, drawn out of nowhere by thinking about the visit. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook